Under the supervision of the Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO), Helideck Assistants (HDA’s) carry out routine helideck operations such as assisting with passenger embarkation and disembarkation, transferring freight and baggage to and from the helicopter when it has landed on the helideck of an offshore mining installation.
The HDA will assist the HLO in response to an emergency situations on the helideck, therefore the prerequisite for the HDA is a valid certificate of the “Basic or Refresher course Member Firefighting and Rescue team” (course 2.6a/b).
In case of offshore mining installations on which no refuelling of helicopters takes place a valid “Basic or Refresher Course Fire-Fighting Helicopters (course 2.9a/b)” suffices.
Persons designated to act as Helicopter Deck Assistant at an offshore mining installation.
Training delegates in theory and practice in performing activities related to helicopter operations at an offshore mining installation, both under normal conditions and emergency situations.
- Hazards of helicopter operations, dangerous areas, entry and escape routes (helideck and helicopter), personal protective equipment to be used, cleaning, maintenance and completion of available equipment.
- Preparation of the helideck and associated (fire-fighting) equipment for the landing and take-off of a helicopter.
- Performance of normal and emergency procedures, connected with the landing and takeoff of helicopters.
- Boarding or disembarking of persons and loading or unloading of freight (including dangerous materials).
- The loading of the helicopter and the collection of the data for the determination of the weight of the helicopter.
- Procedures and actions for starting the helicopter engines and any support provided.
Learning targets loading fuel:
- Fuel installation operations.
- Refuelling a helicopter, and
- Carrying out fuel quality checks.
The efficient performance of all techniques mentioned in the learning targets.
Conditions for practical exercises:
Maximum 6 delegates per instructor.
Basic course = 1 ½ days.
Refresher course = 1 day.
Two (2) years.
Conditions for participation:
The delegate shall be in the possession of a valid registration in the Personal Safety Logbook of the:
- Basic or Refresher Course “Member Fire-fighting and Rescue team” (2.6a/b) in case refuelling activities are taken place on the installation.
- In case no refuelling is taken place on the installation the Basic or Refresher Course “FireFighting Helicopters” (2.9a/b).
- Offshore Medical certificate.