Occasional a visit may be paid to an offshore mining installation by a Corporate, Government, or
other Official. In order to safeguard the person it is important that he/she shall receive basic
instructions on sea survival and HUET in case of flying with a helicopter to and from the offshore
Elementary safety training.
Occasional visitor travelling to and from an offshore mining installation solely for the purpose of a
Note: This course shall not be construed as a replacement for delegates (regular) visiting offshore
mining installations even if they are not participating physically in any operation.
To train delegates in acquiring a sufficient level of understanding of circumstances and hazards on
an offshore mining installation and sufficient basic knowledge of emergency response and selfrescue actions, while travelling to and from the installation by a helicopter.
The visit is only allowed under the following conditions:
- The visitor should not participate in any operational activity on board of the installation.
- During the visit the visitor should be under guidance of a qualified and instructed crewmember.
Minimum knowledge concerning offshore hazards on board of an offshore mining
- The use of personal protective equipment.
- Self-rescue techniques, use of smoke hood, and group escape techniques.
HELICOPTER SAFETY (theory)
Explanation and demonstration of helicopter transit/immersion suit and aviation life
jacket, emergency equipment, and emergency exits.
Preparation to take for an emergency landing.
SURVIVAL AT SEA
Donning of a life jacket.
Individual and group survival techniques and rescue techniques.
Use of helicopter sling and position during hoisting.
HUET Module (exercises)
- Use of personal protective equipment (immersion/helicopter transit suit, life jacket, etc.).
- Inflating a life jacket in the water.
- Deploying and use of a spray hood.
- Use of helicopter life raft.
- EBS (Emergency Breathing System) familiarization. (see Note on page 25)
- Abandoning helicopter in various situations
One (1) day.
Condition for participation:
(Offshore) Medical certificate.
Four (4) years